Princeton Sweeps Opening Tennis Tournament

Harvard's Waldman Strong

By Ann M. Koufman

Harvard's two top racquetmen returned to Princeton this weekend for the 7th Annual Princeton Invitational Indoor Tournament to defend the Crimson's top rank in the fall ECACs. Princeton dominated the tournament, taking the trophies in both singles and doubles.

Two players from each of 12 East Coast colleges and four from Princeton competed in the tournament which consisted of only a flight A draw in both singles and doubles.

Danny Waldman, the number two Crimson racquetmen swept through two tough singles matches on Friday to reach the quarterfinals on Saturday. Todd Lundy as Harvard's number one lost in the second round to the tournament's top seed Rick Meyer of Penn 6-2, 6-2, after quickly swinging through U of Virginia's number two player John Galbraith, 6-4, 6-3.

"Neither of our players were seeded in the tournament but their play was a promising sign that Harvard has a good fighting chance this coming season," coach Cory Wynn said yesterday.

In the first round of the singles Waldman defeated Princeton's number one and third seed in the tournament, Bill Dutton in a long three setter, winning 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, and creating a major upset.

"Dutton is one of Princeton's best players and he had just come from a big win over Stanford's number one player Bill Maze, in a tournament two weekends ago. Danny's victory was an unexpected surprise but it just goes to show what strength Harvard does have in its ranks," Wynn said.

Waldman went on to battle Navy's number one Mark Jee in a two-and-a-half hour long duel, emerging with a 6-7, 7-5, 6-4 victory. In the quarterfinals Waldman met his match, John Botica of Ohio State, losing 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Lundy and Waldman teamed up in doubles for their third match of the day on Friday, losing in a fast 7-6, 6-3 scuffle to South Carolina's Jeff Kethalls and Jeff Hull, the fourth seed.

'A Disaster'

"The doubles was a disaster," Waldman said. "They were sharp and we were both too tired from our previous matches to get psyched."

Both finals matches featured Princeton players. Bob Fisher took a quick 6-4, 6-1 win from Bob Hauptfer of U of Virginia and in doubles John Gross and Tom Brightfield showed their higher ranking teammates Dutton and Fisher a few tricks in a 7-6, 4-6, 7-5 contest.

"Although Princeton dominated the tournament Waldman's victory over Dutton shows that Princeton is not unbeatable. We have a very strong line up this year and outlook for the season is encouraging," Wynn said.