Yardling Skaters Plaster Tritons, 10-5, Rally From 5-3 Second Period Deficit

By David Clarke

The freshman hockey team got into early trouble against Mass Bay last night but then fired off a seven goal barrage for a 10-5 come from behind triumph.

The scoring came fast and furious in the seesaw first period. Harvard outshot the Tritons, 15-7, in the initial 20 minutes, but Mass Bay made better use of its opportunities to forge a 3-3 tie by the intermission.

Center Steve Andrews opened the scoring to give Harvard the lead. Within five minutes, however, Mass Bay had jumped to a 2-1 lead on a powerplay goal and an unassisted tally by Kevin Pallis.

Knotted the Score

The Crimson knotted the score minutes later on a goal by Doug Thompson, and an unassisted score by winger Murray Dea gave Harvard a 3-2 lead.

As the period came to an end, Mass Bay tied the score again on a goal by Tom Dempsey.

The Crimson outshot the Tritons again in the second period, 16-6, but Harvard almost gave the game away with sloppy puck handling on the power play.

First, a wild pass eluded Mike Stewart at the offensive blue line and Mass Bay's Tom Scannell took off on a breakaway to notch the go-ahead goal. Then, Dea got checked off the puck at the blue line and Triton Richard Green was off on another full-rink dash and another goal. Mass Bay led 5-3.

As the period came to an end, Harvard made two changes. Ralph Earle replaced John Conant at goalie and went on to collect 11 saves without allowing a goal. Moreover, Harvard reasserted its superior skating and stickhandling to take control of the game.

Tying It Up

Dea scored his second goal at the end of the period to cut Mass Bay's lead to one. Then, only two minutes into the final frame, Thompson scored his second goal to tie the game at 5-all.

At that point, the Tritons seemed to fall apart and the Crimson skaters rushed in for the kill. Two shorthanded goals, scored by defenseman John Cochrane and forward Dave MacKinnon, gave Harvard a 7-5 bulge.

Thereafter, the icemen seemed capable of scoring at will and won going away, 10-5. For the night, 12 players added to their point totals in the impressive display.

The triumph over Mass Bay brings the yardling's season record to 10-4 with four games left on the schedule.