Both 'Cliffe Fives Romp; Varsity in 75-22 Laugher

By Robert I. W. sidorsky

Sue Williams rattled off a skein of six first-half baskets without a miss, finishing with a 'Cliffe season high of 24 points, as the cagers smote Regis 75-22 last night at the IAB.

The 'Cliffe tips off this Saturday with a courtside clang of varsity fencers Nick Michael Bierer in an otherwise sedate trouncing.

Sixteen points of Williams' pacesetting performance came in the first half. "She's got a great shot and just caught fire today," said coach John Haverland. "It inspired the rest of her play."

The hoopsters had balanced scoring across the board with Lissa Muscatine netting ten points and forward Hildy Meyers nine. Center Cheryl Gelzer cranked in three second-half field goals, while supplying underneath muscle on the rebounds.

The rough-and-tumble first half brought Regis coach Olive Norton stalking off the bench to scold the lead referee and threaten a Regis walkout. "It was a pretty physical game," explained Haverland. "We've been coaching our girls to be aggressive, but you rely on referees to keep that sort of thing under control. We've had rougher games and I kind of like them."

Coach Kevin McLaughlin's J. V. squad remains undefeated, upping its record to 6-0.

Guard Tamar Manuelyan-Atinc's methodical shooting from the perimeter put the whammy on Regis from the outset. Atinc floated home a ten-footer off a pick and Ellen Seitler cashed in a three point play as the 'Cliffe jumped to a 9-0 lead. The half closed with the 'Cliffe on top 27-7

The first of Regis' two first-half buckets came more than ten minutes into the game, as the Crimson's swarming defense left the IAB looking like an explosion in a tomato cannery on a sunset evening.

Maree Sullivan and Audrey Ingrer took rebounding honors while Atinc pumped in 13 points on 6-10 shooting. Frontliners Leslie Horwing and Susan Hewitt posted 12 and 10 points respectively.

The 'Cliffe tips off this Saturday with a formidable Williams quintet that went undefeated last year in the last home game of the season.