Extend The Shuttle

Last fall the masters of North, South and Currier Houses recommended that Harvard expand its campus shuttle bus service. Running buses to the Quad in both daylight and late night hours--a move strongly supported by students at Harvard and Radcliffe--would make Hilles Library, the Observatory and other Quad facilities more accessible and increase the attractiveness of Quad living.

It was distressing therefore to learn last week that the administration has not seriously considered the masters' proposal. In addition the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life opted to delay any review of shuttle bus extension until after it dispatched its recommendations on housing, which were adopted this Wednesday. Such delay is startling for it ignores the basic connection between the housing and shuttle bus questions.

Although it is too late to include bussing extension in CHUL's housing debate, the committee should immediately begin debate on expanding shuttle bus service, and the administration should initiate a systematic cost and feasibility study, drawing heavily on student input. As soon as possible Harvard should extend shuttle bus service on campus.