Radcliffe Squash Places High In the Nationals at Dartmouth

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The Radcliffe racquetwomen ended their season over the weekend, and found themselves placing in the top eight teams in the nationals, which were played at Dartmouth.

"We figured out that we placed in the top seven or eight," coach Eric Culter '40, said last night. Cutler said that he did not know the exact position of the team because the scoring system was very because the scoring system was very complex and the rankings have not been determined yet.

Eighteen teams competed in the tournament, which saw the top four players of each team playing in two tournaments. Everyone was entered in the "main tournament," and when they lost, they were placed in the consolation tournament.

Radcliffe's number two player, Julia Moore, was the most successful racquetwoman of the weekend. On Saturday, Moore lost to first seed Amy Knox of Princeton, 3-1.

But Moore had two more opportunities to redeem herself Saturday afternoon, and she used them well. First, she disposed of Williams's Jane Garvey, 3-1, and then downed Princeton's Cindy Sutter, 3-1.

Those victories thrust Moore into the semi-finals of the consolation tournament, where she lost to Martha Cook of Williams, who eventually won the tournament, yesterday.

The racquetwomen's captain and number one player, Susy Handy, won her first match in the main tournament Friday, but lost later to Williams's number two player, Linda Miller. Handy lost in the consolation to Penn's number one player, Patty Seales, Friday night.

Sally Blair, the Cliffe's number three player, lost in the first round to Irene Park of Brown. In the consolation tournament, Blair downed Minnie Foster of Tufts before losing to Smith's number two player, Liz Sawyer, 3-2.

The other racquetwoman to make the trip to Dartmouth, Emmi Levin, won her first round match by downing Martha Brownell of Middlebury, 3-1. Levin lost her second round match to Cook, and won her first consolation match over Penn's Bonnie Reutschker. Saturday morning, Levin fell to Wellesley's Caroline Farrar, 3-0.