Union Strikes Area Bookstores Over 'No Move' Contract Clause

By Marc M. Sadowsky

District 65 of the Distributive Workers of America went on strike yesterday against Learning Resources Incorporated (LRI), the company that owns Paperback Booksmith, after contract negotiations broke down Tuesday night, a member of the worker's negotiating committee said yesterday.

Steven M. Moreau said the workers employed at LRI's Brighton warehouse were demanding that the contract include a "no move provision" to prevent LRI from moving its warehouse to a location outside the metropolitan Boston area.

"We had previously agreed to a 'no strike' clause, but we wanted that deleted after LRI refused to agree to the no move provision," Moreau said.

Fifty-two of the approximately 70 workers involved voted yesterday morning, and the pro-strike faction prevailed, 38-14.

Picketing at Four Stores

Workers yesterday picketed the four company-owned stores, located in Harvard Square, Brookline, and malls in Chestnut Hill and Natick. Forty-six other stores are franchises and were not picketed.

"I have told the union that all our intentions are to keep the warehouse within the Boston area," Marshall J. Smith, president of LRI said last night.

"But we can't include an absolute guarantee because it's a management decision," Smith added.

Smith said he had no idea when the strike would end and that it was too early to tell whether the strike was affecting business.

Yesterday management personnel kept the warehouse in operation. Smith said that management was "totally unified to keep the warehouse moving."

LRI's lease on its present warehouse runs out at the end of this year. Smith said no decision about renewal has been made yet.