Extended Shuttle Bus Service Draws Riders As Freshman Submit Their House Selections

Many Say Decision Was Rushed

By Francis J. Connolly

Freshmen ended a week of deliberation over their choice of Houses yesterday, but many of those who filed their housing selection forms in University Hall yesterday afternoon expressed dissatisfaction with the circumstances surrounding their decisions.

"The choice is basically uninformed," said Kenneth M. Greene '79, who added that most freshmen saw little of their prospective Houses during the year outside of the dining halls.

No Time

Freshmen also said they had not been given enough time to examine the facilities of the Houses in which they were interested.

"Just having a week puts a lot of pressure on people," said Ruben Kier '79. "The choices aren't being though out--they're being made quickly or as a compromise."

Computers Can Eat, See

Other students, however, said the process of choosing new Houses and rommmates created a "strained atmosphere," which they were glad had not been extended beyond a week.

Several freshmen also said the new computerized lottery system of assigning roommate groups to Houses, which reduces the number of students who receive their first choice, is likely to lead to ill feeling.

"It's generally fair because it's equally unfair to everyone--we've all got an equal chance of getting screwed," said Alice M. Miller '79.

Others expressed disappointment with the two-week wait before learning of their House assignments.

John A. Jarcho '79 said the waiting period is too long compared to the single week that had been allotted to freshmen to make their choices. He called the waiting period "just another two weeks for bureaucracy."

Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the College, said yesterday the two-week wait is necessary in order to double-check students' applications for mistakes, and to put the housing information into "computer-digestible form."

Collier said the new system actually involves a shorter wait than in previous years.