Radcliffe Skiers Place Third in Meet

Wilson Paces Squad in First Downhill of Season

By John Blondel

The Radcliffe ski team streaked to a third-place finish in the first downhill competition sponsored by the Women's Intercollegiate Ski Conference (WISC) at Tenney Mountain, New Hampshire, last weekend.

The downhill is a "very dangerous race and WISC decided to have an experiment," captain Nicole Bourgois said on Sunday. Speed is the essence of the race as speeds of more than 40 miles per hour are reached.

Lenny Wilson flashed in with the best Radcliffe time of 1:23, earning her fifth-place honors. Bourgois, appearing in her first race since she was injured several weeks ago, snatched a ninth with 1:25 and Carlyle Singer nabbed tenth.

Wilson also took a fifth in the second race in 1:31. Bourgois and Kathy States followed close behind. Bourgois, despite a fall at the end of the course, finished in 1:32.

Bourgois was pleased with the team's effort in this "major race" which was won by Boston University over a powerful U-Mass squad.

Next weekend, the Radcliffe skiers are in another WISC meet and on the following weekend they will travel to Quebec to compete in the Can-Ams at Owls Head.

The Canadian competition will mark the end of the long Radcliffe season which began in late September.