Music Blurs the Distinction Between Victor and Vanquished

By Philip Weiss

Judging from the music, there wasn't that much difference last night at 10:30 p.m. between Henry M. Jackson's and Birch Bayh's headquarters in the Copley Square Hotel.

In Jackson headquarters the band was stirring up the crowd with "Happy Days are Here Again," and just through the Venetian Room, Lucky Lee, a lead singer in Sunrise, was belting out the triumphant lyrics of "Jubilation," while gesturing vigorously to the scattering of Bayh supporters who remained.

In spite of Lucky Lee's benediction, however, the Indiana senator had finished with a disappointing 5 per cent of the vote, six places behind the short gray-haired man who was shouting in the other room that tonight was just the beginning.

"It's a jubilant song, it's for celebration, we celebrate Birch Bayh...he's a winner," Lucky Lee said, while, in the corridor, a cavalcade of secret servicemen and aides hustled the jubilant Jackson out of the headquarters.

A little girl with a blue dress and blond hair in front of the band stand got Lee's message and danced vigorously without moving her feet as Sunrise's musicians blasted out the driving melody.

On the deserted stage at the other end of the room, an aloof Catherine Mackin was writing out her report for NBC with a green felt-tipped pen, before dusting her nose, brushing her hair, and readying for the call from David Brinkley.

"Now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country," she said to test the sound equipment. A producer plucked a blond hair from her shoulder. On the chair next to Mackin was her brush, her hand-mirror and a "Transworld Getaway Guide" for Ireland.

Sound men taped audio equipment to the back of her fine black dress with bulky yellow tape and Mackin glanced back at them bemused, "These things come with clips, you know that, Bobby, so you can hang them on," she said.

When Mackin and Ed Bradley, of CBS, went on the air with their valedictions to the Bayh campaign, the producers told the workers who were dismantling the convention equipment to stop making noise. Yves Alexis, an employee of the hotel who was folding a table, glowered back in their direction, but stopped his work.

Bradley glanced at his stopwatch, then looked into the camera.

Mackin was already off camera and sat quietly on the equipment stand, while Lloyd Siegel, a producer, told her what plane she should catch the next morning. She said she wasn't sure why she should go to New York.