GSE Symposium

News Shorts

By Marc H. Meyer

The Harvard Graduate School of Education will sponsor a two-day symposium later this month on the educational problems and strategies of contemporary society.

The symposium, the first of a series of alumni-orientated programs planned by the Ed School's Alumni Council, will begin Friday, March 19.

The program includes as speakers Edward O. Wilson, professor of Zoology and author of Sociobiology: The New Synthesis, and Paul N. Ylvisaker, dean of the Ed School. Alumni will participate in seminars that will cover governmental policy, educational administrative systems, and environments for learning.

The symposium's Saturday schedule includes workshops run by prominent figures in American education, one of whom is former Cambridge School Superintendant Alflorence Cheatham, Paul A. Perry, executive secretary of the school's alumni association, said yesterday.

Perry said the program is designed to satisfy the need for continuing education and will be "a mixture of intellectual refreshment and sociability."