Bayh, Shriver May Withdraw; Supporters Weigh Alternatives

By M. BRETT Gladstone and Gizela M. Gonzalez

"I'm really proud of what we did and I will wear my Birch Bayh button until November," Mark Roosevelt '77 said, reacting to the announcement of Sen. Bayh (D-Ind) that he is "suspending" his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Bayh, who finished seventh with only 5 per cent of the vote in Tuesday's Massachusetts primary, said in New York yesterday that his campaign is "about $100,000 in debt" and he could not continue "without the dollars required to get the job done."

Roosevelt and other Bayh supporters at Harvard are still positive about their candidate, however. "Maybe I'm a die-hard optimist, but Bayh will be president one day," Mike Conniff '77 said yesterday.

Roosevelt--who is great-grandson of Theodore Roosevelt, class of 1880--and three other students took leaves of absence this semester to work for Bayh, and are now unsure of their future plans.

When asked whether they would work for any other candidate, Bayh supporters here termed it "unlikely." "Bayh's defeat was really emotionally draining," Conniff said.

Reaction among professors who endorsed Bayh was mixed. Lance M. Liebmann, assistant professor of Law, is reluctant to support anyone else because he "is not happy with the field."

Walter J. McCann Jr. '63, director of Programs in Administration Planning and Social Policy, said he would be comfortable with either Udall or Jackson. McCann and Liebmann were two of the four Harvard professors who signed a statement last week endorsing Bayh.

R. Sargent Shriver, placing sixth in last Tuesday's primary with 8 per cent, is also considering withdrawing from the race for the nomination. Shriver, also low on campaign funds, said yesterday in Chicago that if he loses in the Illinois primary, he will consider joining Bayh on the sidelines.

"I guess I'll support the winning liberal candidate, but I couldn't work for anybody else," Tom Barrett '77, a Shriver worker, said yesterday.

Shriver supporters generally seemed more receptive to other candidates than Bayh supporters. Frank McPhilips '76 said he could support either Udall or Carter, despite Carter's "angelical tone."