Freshmen Allowed One Week To File House-Choice Forms

By Jonathan H. Alter and Steven Schorr

Several freshman proctors last night asked that freshmen be given additional time to form their roommate groups and determined their House preferences, but Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the College, denied their request.

David Moore, a proctor in Lionel Hall, said last night that Collier told the proctors at a meeting in the Freshman Union yesterday that freshmen will receive packets today containing housing forms which they must return by next Friday.

No Comment

W.C. Burris Young '55, assistant dean of freshmen, said last night "this is the first year freshmen will only have a week to make a decision so we'll just have to see what happens."

One proctor who asked to remain anonymous said last night "the administration does not care the slightest bit about student choices" on housing.

Collier told the proctors they should "temper their advice on Houses and not make freshmen feel that their assignment to a particular House will make or break them," Joseph Blair, a proctor in Grays Hall, said last night.

Collier told the CHUL Wednesday that Dean Rosovsky will alter the method of assigning Houses this year and that the change might result in fewer roommate groups receiving their first-choice House.

Pipkin said he will meet with Rosovsky tomorrow to transmit a CHUL recommendation that Rosovsky not make the change, but use an assignment system that maximizes the number of roommate groups assigned to their first-choice House.

Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the Faculty for the Colleges and chairman of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life, said yesterday "if CHUL had made a decision on the choice earlier, the packets would have been sent out in February." He said he does not think "a week or two" will make much difference.

Moore said freshmen are "getting panicky about choosing their House" and it is "important that they are given an adequate amount of time" to make that choice