Swimmers Third in Easterns

Only Divers Fare Well in First Day's Events

By James W. Reinig

Things didn't work out as well as the Harvard aquamen hoped they would on the first day of competition in the Eastern Seaboard Swimming Championships as the Crimson swimmers found themselves floundering in third place behind Princeton and Dartmouth.

In fact, only the divers performed as well as expected when an amazing four Crimson aerialists placed in the final twelve in the one-meter diving event in New Haven.

Senior Dave English dove spectacularly as he won the low diving, clinching his victory on his final optional dive. Team-mate Mike Toal exceeded expectations as he placed third in the event.

Tom Cook and Roger Johannigman completed the Crimson stacking of the diving as they finished ninth and tenth respectively. Overall, the divers accounted for 35 of the 63 points that the Crimson scored all day.

Only two individual swimmers placed in the top twelve in the rest of the day's competition. Sophomore Duncan Pyle grabbed a tenth place in the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:59.5. Pyle was recorded in 1:58.5 in the afternoon preliminary trials but failed to match that time in the evening's finals. Army sensation Ted Kanamine won the event in a blistering 1:53.58.

Malcolm Cooper took eighth place for Harvard in the 50 free (21.5). Cooper was a surprise entry in the race as it was commonly thought he would swim in his specialty, the 100 free, on Saturday. Tiger sprinter Fred Test won the race.

Cooper, who had the best day at the races of any Crimson aquaman, swam a stunning 45.9 anchor leg for the Harvard medley relay team. The medley squad, which also benefitted from George Keim's blazing 50.4 fly leg, placed a respectable fifth. Cooper's splits were the best ever recorded by a Harvard medleyist. The Princeton entry won relay in a very fast 3:27.58.

Princeton is expected to easily hold on to its lead today (currently 110 to Dartmouth's 66 and Harvard's 63) because it should do well in the 200 free, 800 free relay, 400 IM, and 100 breaststroke this evening.