Volleyball Club Falls to Bicentennial Elis, 3-1; Beach Boy Music Only Helps Team A Little

By Stephen W. Parker

Even the Beach Boys couldn't help the Harvard Volleyball team for long last night as the Bicentennial-pantied team from Yale took a hard-fought 3-1 battle at the IAB.

Yale rallied to three straight come-from-behind victories after the Crimson, inspired by a pre-game concert of Beach Boy tunes over the P.A., took the opening contest, 15-12.

A four-point rally late in the final game almost put Harvard back in the match, but the Elis held on to win in overtime, 16-14.

The Crimson had jumped to a 9-3 lead behind the devastating windmill spikes of Wolf Gutscher, but the Yalies stormed back with six straight points to tie the game. After trading points, Yale opened up a 14-10 lead.

Behind the sterling net play of Andy Woodring, the Johns scored four straight points, putting the game into overtime.

Despite their pastel blue shorts, decorated with Bicentennial designs, the Bulldogs turned back the Crimson threat, winning the game, 16-14, and the match, 3-1.

Harvard built up early leads in the two preceding games, but suffered let-downs that proved fatal in both.

After the opening game victory, Harvard blasted to an 8-2 lead in the second contest behind the masterful sets of Kenny Argentery. At this point, the team seemed to lose concentration, falling apart completely.

Sloppy Crimson sets and erratic back-court passing enabled Yale's precision front line to humble Harvard, 15-19. The Elis' Ron Walradt made three diving "gets" during Yale's scoring tear to demoralize the Johns.

Yale came out yelling for the third game, leaving little doubt which team had the momentum. However, Gustscher's cross court spikes seemed to stall the Bulldog's drive, as Harvard took an early 9-4 advantage.

The lead was short-lived, as Yale's serving decimated the Crimson backcourt. Guscher managed one more point for the Crimson, as Yale took a demoralizing 15-10 victory to lead 2-1 in games.