Woman Will Head Music Department

Vosgerchian Next Chairman

By Julie Wilson

Luise Vosgerchian, Naumberg Professor of Music, will replace Eliot Forbes, Peabody Professor of Music, as chairman of the Music Department, becoming the second female department chairman at Harvard, a University official said yesterday.

Verna C. Johnson, executive associate to Dean Rosovsky, said yesterday, "She is going to be chairman--there's no mystery about it."

Vosgerchian yesterday refused to comment on the reports of her appointment.

But Forbes confirmed yesterday that Vosgerchian had been appointed chairman. "I think it's a splendid appointment," he said.

Forbes said Vosgerchian will serve a three-year term as chairman rather than the regular four-year term. He said he does not know why Vosgerchian's term will be shorter than those in past years.

Faculty Essays

Forbes said that the procedures for choosing a new chairman require that Dean Rosovsky and President Bok ask all senior faculty members to "write out their feelings about the chairmanship." The new chairman is chosen on the basis of these essays, Forbes said.

One student said yesterday that Vosgerchian turned down the chairmanship two other times this month before accepting it. But Vosgerchian yesterday denied that statement.

The student said that, as chairman, Vosgerchian will "get representatives from each undergraduate class, in order to keep in touch with the students and listen to their complaints."

Vosgerchian currently teaches Music 51, "Theory I," and a Dunster House music course.

She is "one of the most popular professors in the Music Department," Lynn Chang '75, a teaching assistant in music, said yesterday.

David Grayson '72, a teaching fellow in Music, said yesterday Vosgerchian is "a really incredible person. She has tremendous energy and enthusiasm, and a fresh outlook on everything. She's a very responsive teacher."

Vosgerchian came to Harvard in 1959 as an associate professor of Music and was made a full professor in 1971. She was given the Naumberg chair in July 1974.