Frosh Skaters Score Seven Straight Goals To Defeat Yale Icemen, 8-3, in Season Finale

By Richard S. Lee

After spotting Yale two goals, the freshman hockey team exploded for seven straight scores to defeat the Elis, 8-3, Saturday at Watson Rink.

The win finished Harvard's season with a 12-7 record and dropped Yale to 6-9-1.

The Elis came out flying in the first period. After ten minutes, Yale held a 2-0 lead on the strength of scores by Tom Jasinski and Rick Wyerhaeuser.

Awakening

John Dunderdale awakened Harvard at the eleven minute mark with a slap spot from the right point. But early in the second period, Yale went up by two goals again after a wild scramble in the Crimson crease.

The Harvard explosion began with just three minutes left in the second period, when Murray Dea stuffed home a Randy Millen feed to close the gap to 3-2. David MacKinnon tied the game at 19:03 on a perfect two-on-one break with Doug Thompson.

Blew 'Em Away

"Then," Thompson said yesterday, "we just blew 'em away."

MacKinnon scored the winner at 2:06 of the third period, while standing in the crease untouched by the Yale defense. The rest of the game's action took place in the Eli end of the rink, as John Dochrane, Stephan Andrews, Dan Diloratti and Mike Clasby finished Yale off.

Millen, with three assists yesterday, captured the freshman scoring title with 35 points in 19 games. Thompson was close behind with 33 points.

"We lost a few that we shouldn't have let get away," Thompson said yesterday. "But it was still a really good year."