University Menus Pass Over Jewish Holiday's Dietary Laws

By Candace Kaller

Harvard Food Services' menus which violate dietary laws for the eight-day Passover holiday generated criticism yesterday from some Jewish students.

On Thursday, the first day of Passover, the food services served meals which included cheese and meat sandwiches and breaded veal cutlets, both of which contain leavened bread, which is prohibited for Jews during Passover.

One Jewish student said yesterday that most Jewish undergraduates don't usually observice strict religious dietary laws, but they do try to obey this rule.

Eighteen of 28 Jewish students polled yesterday said they object to the menus. Several suggested that the University serve at least one non-bread alternative at each meal during Passover.

Frank J. Weissbecker, director of the foold services, said Thursday it would be too expensive to provide full Kosher meals for Passover, but added that "we do buy matzohs--those flat cracker-like things--and the students can always eat at Hillel House; we also provide tuna fish as an alternative."

Unfortunately, John Silver '79 said yesterday, "Not all students have the time to walk to Hillel House."

"I don't like eating only hard boiled eggs and matzoh for breakfast," he added.

Some of the students polled said they feel the University is doing more than its duty by subsidizing Hillel House's meals and House Passover dinners.

Others, however, complained that the supply of University-subsidized kosher meals is not in step with demand.