Glee Club Members Consider Requesting Course Credit Plan

By Candace Kaller

If the Faculty Council accepts a proposal to give Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra members non-graded course credit, the Harvard Glee Club would probably ask for the same privileges for its members, a spokesman for the Glee Club said yesterday.

James W. Herrington '77, manager of the Glee Club, said yesterday the Glee Club has traditionally wanted to remain as separate from the music department as possible. He said this may have been one reason that club members did not take the indirect route of gaining credit through enrolling in Music 91r, "Special Projects in Music."

"However, if HRO gets credit, the issue will probably be brought up for the Glee Club," Herrington said. "We'd like to get credit, and we're in a very similar position to HRO."

F. John Adams Jr. '66, lecturer in Music and the Glee Club's conductor, said yesterday he would also like to see Glee Club members get credit for their time if HRO members are granted it.

Lucie M. Binger '76, president of the Collegium Musicum, said yesterday she opposes the idea of granting course credit for an extra-curricular activity. "The general feeling in the Collegium is that it's better for extra-curricular activities to remain such," she said. "I don't think it would be good for us to have our hands tied in that way."

Elliot Forbes '40, chairman of the Music department, said yesterday his department has not yet even taken a stand on such groups receiving academic credit, and added he wants to see what the Faculty Council decides on the matter.