Sally Roberts Shows Top Court Form

J.J.'s Journal

By Jonathan J. Ledecky

The aggressive, attacking-style play of freshman Sally Roberts is a big reason why the Cliffe netters may just walk away with the coveted Ivy League-Seven Sisters Tournament crown in May. Roberts lends depth to a squad that was loaded with talent from the start (only one letterwinner graduated from last year's 11-4 crew). The 14-year-old Radcliffe rookie alternated with junior Denise Thanl in the prestigious number one slot earlier in the campaign and is currently playing number two.

"Sally's potential is unlimited," first-year Cliffe coach Corey Wynn '40 commented after Roberts recently demolished a Smith College opponent, 6-0, 6-0. "She strikes me as being a natural player, a real comer. Her pace, power, and timing are amazing for a woman who isn't really that big," Wynn added.

Roberts, who hails from Greenwich, Conn., started playing tennis at the age of 12 with her mother, another tennis buff.

Former Australian Davis Cup coach Harry Hopman took Sally under his wing in 1972, polishing her devastating back-court and baseline attack. Tutor Hopman encouraged Roberts to join the amateur tournament circuit, and she garnered a trophy collection that would make even Tiffany's blush with envy.

As a high school sophomore, Roberts qualified for the 1972 16-under National Singles at Charleston. The West Virginia trip was made possible by Robert's top-flight ranking by the Eastern Lawn Tennis Association (ELTA). Earlier in that year, Roberts had captured the ELTA Doubles Championship for her age group, the first of an unprecedented five straight doubles crowns. Her partner for several of those championships was Debbie Campbell, currently a freshwoman stand-out at Princeton.

Roberts formed half of a tandem that racked up three Connecticut State Doubles Titles ('72, '74, '75) and a 1975 Rhode Island State Doubles crown.

All the Way?

With Rollins College star Felicia Hatnick, Roberts received the number one 18-under New England Tennis Association doubles ranking in 1975. At the same time, Sally and another partner, Joy McManus of Penn, firmly established themselves as one of the top amateur doubles teams in the country. Ranked number one in the East for their age group, the pair played in both the grass and clay court 1975 National Championships. Although they didn't go all the way, Sally herself delighted Philadelphia and Memphis audiences with her crisp form.

Despite her outstanding doubles success, Sally prefers singles competition. "I'm an individualist by nature, and tennis is the individual sport," Sally said in a recent interview. "I feel like it's me against the world out on the court, and there's no one to turn to but myself. I have to dig deep down into myself to keep fighting back if I'm behind. It definitely makes me a stronger person overall."