Lampoon Prize Money Divided, Advocate Board is Dissatisfied

By Joanne L. Kenen

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, will meet with members of the Harvard Advocate today to discuss the apportionment of the $60,000 the Harvard Lampoon donated to the University last February, Douglas A. McIntyre '77, president of the Advocate said last night.

The Lampoon gift is designed to provide financial support for undergraduate organizations in the arts, Epps said yesterday.

Three literary magazines, the Advocate, Diaspora, and Padan Aram, each received $2000.

"I'm a little upset about the size of our gift," Stephen A. Ballmer '77, vice president and publisher of the Advocate said yesterday.

One Advocate writer, who asked to remain unidentified, said yesterday that there was some feeling among Advocate members that their magazine is "larger in scope than the other publications and should have received a larger grant."

David Godolphin '78, publisher of Padan-Aram, said yesterday that the Lampoon grant might help Padan-Aram get funding from the Office of the Arts.

Mark E. Roberts '77, Diaspora editor, said yesterday, "I'm very happy about our grant. And I don't see Diaspora as a threat to the Advocate."

The Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra, the Radcliffe Choral Society, the Afro-American Cultural Center and the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium are all receiving $10,000 endowments from the Lampoon fund, Epps said yesterday.

Phillips Brooks House will receive a $5000 grant and The Signet Society will receive $2000.

The remaining $7000 will be used to improve performance facilities at Memorial Hall. A rehearsal shell for the H-R Orchestra and a piano for Sanders Theater will be purchased.