Guggenheim Gives Fellowships for '76

Unger Gets Tenure, Too

The Guggenheim Foundation announced last week that 11 Harvard faculty members have received fellowship grants for the coming academic year.

The grants provide recipients with the opportunity to pursue independent research projects in their respective fields.

The selection committee, which viewed a field of approximately 3000 applicants, chose a diverse group of 300, including historians, legal scholars, novelists, scientists and sociologists, mostly from American colleges and universities.

The awards for next year total $4,192,000.

The size of each grant is based on an individual budget the applicant submits for the proposed studies.

Barbara M. Solomon, senior lecturer on History and Literature and a Guggenheim fellow for nest year, said yesterday, "The wonderful thing about a Guggenheim is its flexibility".

Fellows have complete freedom in deciding the methodology of their research, and most of those who are teachers take leaves of absence some time during their year under the foundation program. All fellows are required to submit a work-report to the Foundation at the end of that year.

Solomon said she will take a leave of absence for the next academic year to continue in depth her study of the effects of "the different variables of collegiate education" on the career opportunities available to contemporary American women. She said she plans to use her grand to survey various college institutions, travelling to different parts of the country.

Donald F. Turner, professor of Law and another Guggenheim fellow, said yesterday his plans center on a continuation of a treatise he is presently writing on various "subsidies of anti-trust law". Turner, who will take a leave of absence in the first semester next year, said he will complete the first of four volumes that he hopes to write on anti-trust law this summer.

Roberto M. Unger, assistant professor of Law who was just granted tenure was also given a Guggenheim fellowship. Unger said yesterday he will direct his research in the area of contract law.

Other Guggenheim fellows for next year include Raoul Bott, Higgins Professor of Mathematics, Alfred W. Crompton, Agassiz Professor of Zoology, and Roger W. Jeanloz, professor of Biological Chemistry.

Bott will research in the fields of geometry and topology, and Crompton, who is director of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, will conduct studies in vertebrate palenontology and functional morphology, according to the foundation's announcement. Jeanloz will experiment in carbohydrate chemistry

The foundation also announced that David G. Mitten, Loeb Professor of Classical Art and Archaeology, will compile a handbook of Greek and Roman bronze sculptures, and Cedric H. Whitman '38, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature, will write a commentary on "the Iliad" during their tenure next year as fellows