Odds & Ends

When you feel like chucking it all and indulging something other than your brain in the next couple weeks, but don't have the guts for hard core debaucherie, you could try WHRB's euphimism. Orgies. It's anybody's guess what goes on down at the radio station during reading period--naught but sound gets transmitted over the air.

Dionysus is long dead and hara rock has never come close to filling the sensory cleft, but the station will be offering a selection of Italian madrigal, from Arcadelt to Monteverdi, that may capture the lyrical side of mythical and mysterious rites of spring.

MONDAY

The Duke Ellington Special. A chronological progression through 50 years of music and commentary, mostly pre-World War II. Midnight through Tuesday at 10 a.m.

WEDNESDAY

Music for the Collector. Eclecticism, including the voice of Johannes Brahms, as recorded by Thomas Edison's associates, whoever they were, in 1888. 8-12 p.m.

THURSDAY

The Glory of the Italian Renaissance. Often ignored Italian music from the 16th and 17th centuries. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.