Canadiens Clinch Stanley Cup; Suns Top Warriors, Celts Win

In a hectic Sunday of playoff action, two defending champions bowed out and the Celtics took a 3-2 lead in their semi-final series with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Guy Lafleur's goal in the third period broke a 3-3 tie and powered the Montreal Canadiens to a 5-3 triumph over the defending champion Philadelphia Flyers and a four-game sweep of the Stanley Cup finals.

Lafleur's score came off a pass from Peter Mahovlich at the right boards. Mahovlich, who had two assists in the game, notched an insurance goal less than a minute after Lafleur's game winner.

It is the 19th time the Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup.

In NBA semi-final action, the Phoenix Suns held the defending champion Golden State Warriors to 40 points in the second half, and scored a stunning 94-86 victory in the seventh game of that hard-fought series.

Westphal and Heard Star

Playing on the champions' home court, the Suns got 21 points each from Paul Westphal and Garfield Heard. Meanwhile, the high-scoring Warrior duo of forward Rick Barry and guard Phil Smith was held to a total of eight points in the final period.

The score was tied at 70-all when rookie sensation Alvin Adams and Westphal scored back-to-back buckets. Charles Dudley hit to pull the Warriors within two, but then the Suns put the game away.

Heard was fouled by Clifford Ray and hit both free throws. Adams dunked, and Phoenix got a turnover and a score from Curtis Perry to lead, 80-72, with only five minutes left. The Warriors never got back into the fight after that.

In the other semi-final game Sunday, center Dave Cowens poured in 26 points, and Paul Silas tipped in a decisive rebound with 24 seconds left in the game to lift the Boston Celtics to a 99-94 triumph over the Cavaliers. The Celts lead the series, 3-2.

Boston Nails the Victory

In the final minute, Boston had the ball and a one-point lead when Silas got his crucial tip-in. Austin Carr hit for the Cavaliers to cut the lead to one again, but John Havlicek, who came off the bench in the final five minutes, hit two free throws with 11 seconds remaining.

When Silas stole the ensuing in-bounds pass, Boston had the victory nailed down. Jo Jo White was fouled and got two more free throws to forge the final five-point margin.

The series resumes Tuesday on the Cavaliers' home court, where they have gained both their victories over the Celts. If a seventh game is necessary, it will be played in Boston on Friday.