Bogeyman Pursues Linksters; Salem, SMU Outduel Crimson

By John Blondel

The Harvard golfers, buffeted by both the wind and the weak competition, finished a dismal third to Salem State and Southeastern Massachusetts University in a match yesterday at Salem Country Club. The squad managed to edge Gordon College by several strokes.

"The way we've been playing, everybody we meet is good," captain Scott McNealy remarked yesterday in summing up the team's recent performances.

The Crimson scores were nothing short of astronomical as no one broke 80. Gene Purdy was the lone bright spot in an otherwise bleak day.

The freshman shot a blazing 37 on the front side but skied to a 44 on the back side for an 81. Nonetheless Purdy's effort was the lowest score for Harvard.

Playing at number one, Ron Himelman had a 42 front and 41 back for an 83. Dave Paxton and Chris Ball each turned in a 85, while Peter Smith and John Mallard struggled home with 88s.

'Hard and Fast'

Wind conditions and the difficulty of the layout offer a partial explanation for the Crimson scores. "The greens were hard and fast and the course was tight," Mallard lamented after the match.

The team was also hindered by the absence of the top three players: Alex Vik, Spence Fitzgibbons, and McNealy. The "big three" were ostensibly resting up for the four days of critical matches starting tomorrow with two days of NCAA qualifying rounds at Providence and then the Easterns this weekend.