Freshmen Split with Green, Kelly Goes Distance in Opener

By Christopher B. Wright

The freshman baseball team split their Saturday doubleheader with Dartmouth, winning the first game 14-1 and losing the second 3-4.

Co-captain Mike Kelly pitched the entire seven innings of the win, as the Crimson got off to a strong start and never let up. Dartmouth used six pitchers to no avail.

In the second game, starter Charlie Caro, the other co-captain, injured his throwing arm after two innings and was replaced by Gary Bosnic, who finished the game.

Bosnic, the starting shortstop, pitched a strong game in his first mound appearance. The team lost three pitchers to the varsity this season and the resulting lack of depth has been a problem. Dave Wilson is the only freshman pitcher who did not hold another position.

Pitcher Kelly, a former outfielder who just missed the varsity cuts, and Caro, a similar varsity prospect, shifted from third base, have both taken up the slack well.

In the second game Paul McNicol put the Crimson ahead 3-2 in the fifth, driving in Vern Williams to cap off the three-run inning. The Green went in front 4-3 in the top of the sixth with several bleeders off Bosnic.

Choate Comming Up

The team, 7-2 on the season, faces Choate away on Saturday and Northeastern at home on Monday, before their finale on Tuesday against powerful Mass Bay Junior College.

Mass Bay, 16-1 on the season, is expected to go to the Junior College Nationals in Colorado. The team has a phenomenal team batting average of .398, with every player over .300.

Players expect the game against Mass Bay to be the toughest of the season, but feel they have a reasonable chance to end the season on a winning note. "They are a very strong team, but so are we," catcher Dave Crowley said yesterday.