National Group Hits Harvard Treatment Of Black Studies

By Mark T. Whitaker

A national group of black political scientists in Chicago last week unanimously endorsed a resolution condemning Harvard for "oppression of Blacks" and continuing mistreatment of the University's black studies programs.

The resolution, which the over--200 member National Conference of Black Political Scientists passed last Thursday, was drafted and submitted to the group by Afro-American Studies Department faculty members and concentrators.

The resolution also alleges that President Bok has "assailed" the DuBois Institute by not naming a black scholar to head it and "by not naming a single member of the national black community to the board."

It accuses Dean Rosovsky of placing the Afro-American Studies Department under the "tutelage" of more traditional departments by denying tenure to department professors without a joint Student-Faculty committees would be "burdensome" and "inappropriate."

Sources on the CHUL also said that House masters urged Rosovsky to resume the chairmanship. Masters felt that Rosovsky's absence indicated his lack of concern with the problems of their Houses.

Rosovsky said he consulted with several masters and with Pipkin before deciding to chair the CHUL. "They all thought it was a good idea," he said.

"There is a danger of Rosovsky losing touch and becoming isolated" if he does not maintain close contact with the CHUL, Pipkin said.

Rosovsky's presence "will not inhibit discussion" Pipkin added. However, since Rosovsky "makes the actual decision" on CHUL recommendations, CHUL members will not be able to "play games like they do" when he is not at the meetings, he said.

Rosovsky said he "wants to have closer contact, to some degree with masters but more so with students."

In a separate action, the CHUL voted unanimously to examine the ideal capacity figures that are presently used "to equalize crowding" in the Houses.

An ad hoc committee established by the CHUL will meet during the summer to consider possible changes in the present system and develop alternative methods of determining the ideal capacity of each House