URI Downs Crimson, 2-0, Despite Herold's Efforts

By John Donley

Soccer coach George Ford lives in Rhode Island, but don't be surprised if you see him muttering some choice words about his home state under his new Fu Manchu moustache. Rhode Island began plaguing him earlier this month when several players suffered injuries at the St. George's School training camp, and the torment continued Saturday in Kingston as a strong University of Rhode Island club downed the Crimson, 2-0.

The Rams, ranked seventh in New England, staged a powerful show of offense throughout the game, pulling the curtains down on the Crimson with goals at 35:42 of the first half and 43:02 of the second half.

"We were in it," Ford said yesterday," but unfortunately at the time we didn't need a mistake, we got one."

The 'mistake' came near the end of the first half, just as Harvard had begun to turn around the URI-dominated game. Ram forward Mario Pereira slipped past fullback Bob Carey, took a pass from Dave Names and, in the confusion, lined the first goal past Crimson goalkeeper Fred Herold, who played a great game as usual.

Names picked on Herold with less than two minutes to play in the game when he gathered in a pass from Dan McCrudden and rocketed a shot into the upper right corner of the net from ten yards out. The tally closed out the day's scoring.

"Their forwards could all pass the ball well and they all had good shots," goalie Herold said yesterday. "There was a lot of pressure on the defense all game. Our offense tried all short passes down the middle and they just weren't effective."

While Names & Co. pressured the Harvard defense throughout the game Harvard's offense was, as Herold said, ineffective. "Our problem is the inability to get the ball to the forwards," Ford said.

The one great chance for the Crimson offense came with seven minutes left in the game, when Lyman Bullard challenged URI goalie Bob Auletta one-on-one--and lost. "Lyman was put through on two beautiful passes, but he was a pace back from the ball, and the goalie made a good save," Ford said.

Ford hopes to get some forward and midfield help from Dave Eaton and Harold Martin (both were injured at the Rhode Island training camp) Thursday when the booters take on Wesleyan whom they defeated. 3-0, last year.

Ford's luck may change in Connecticut, but that does not mean he has finished his sparring bout with Rhode Island this fall. To win the Ivy League, Harvard will most likely have to defeat Brown October 30--and Brown beat Yale in its league opener last week.