Swimmers Emerge As Victors, 65-48; Divers, Wolf Excel

By Sanford R. Cardin

Saturday afternoon was a bad one for Brown University sports teams whether they played in the water or on it. As their hockey squad suffered through a loss at Watson Rink, the Brown swim team fared just as poorly while bowing to the Crimson aquamen, 65-48.

Harvard swept three events, the 200-yard backstroke as well as both the one-meter and three-meter diving competitions, as they splashed their way to victory,

Never in doubt of winning, Coach Peter Orscheidt allowed his charges to enter events outside their usual specialities. Tom Wolf, usually a backstroker and individual medleyist, won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

The sweep of the 200-yard backstroke featured Malcolm Cooper, Kevin O'Connell, and Craig Hardin, finishing in that order.

Other winners included George Keim in the 50-yard freestyle and Paco Canales in the 200-yard butterfly. In the butterfly race, Matt Robertson placed second and became the first freshman swimmer to score points for the team this year.

Jamie Greacen, Roger Johanachman, Steve Schramm, and Mike Toal were the key men in the diving events. Greacen, a sophomore, and Schramm, a freshman, won the one-meter and three-meter events respectively.

By the time the relays were run, Harvard had officially won the meet. So rather than swimming his top foursome, Orscheidt chose to equalize the three Harvard relay teams and create his own race-within-a-race.

What Flavor?

Affectionately referred to by the team as the Ice Cream Relays, the race assumed a friendly intrasquad air rather than the competitive aura of a dual meet. The winners, John Bruce, Craig Hardin, Dick Greer, and Paco Canales, each earned a quart of ice cream from the coach for their efforts.

The Crimson win upped its record to 2-1. Next Saturday the team battles Dartmouth in a meet Wes Raffel "can't see losing." Of course, he said the same thing before Saturday's relay but we won't see him at Friendly's, will we?