Students Slip and Slide As Harvard Ices Over

By Judy E. Matloff

As commuters waded through kneehigh slush and the less graceful slipped on ice, life at Harvard went on a little wetter than usual yesterday.

The Building and Grounds staff worked all day freeing drains of debris in order to prevent flooding, according to William Lee, personnel administrator of B&G.

Although most schools in the Boston area--including MIT, Tufts, Boston College and Wellesley--closed due to flooding, Harvard remained open.

Old Faithful

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said "To my knowledge, Harvard has never closed because of flooding--at least not in the 20th century."

Of the residential buildings, Winthrop House was hit hardest by the storm. Clogged drains caused over two feet of water to collect in the courtyard. Many students complained of water in their rooms.

"I think I'm going to catch pneumonia sitting in this ankle-deep water," Richard F. Hahn '78 said in his Winthrop House room yesterday.

George Teso, director of the Cambridge Traffic and Parking Department, reported "serious flooding" throughout the city. Two areas particularly affected were Memorial Drive and the intersection of Broadway and Inman Streets. Workmen pumped water and unblocked sewers and drains throughout the day.

Although slippery sidewalks claimed many victims, Dr. Warren E.C. Wacker, director of the University Health Services, said, "There are a lot of people down in Stillman for head colds, but not for injuries directly related to the weather."

Bright yellow foul-weather gear and gum-soled shoes were common sights in Harvard Yard. Many students reported difficulty in walking in the slush and ice.

"Mobility being restricted, I might invest in some ice skates," said Lizellen LaFollette '79.

"Up at the Quad, a group of us are considering investing in an inflatable rubber dinghy to paddle to the Yard in," said Alan Epstein '80.

Some students just decided to stay inside all day rather than brave the elements. Tom Girius '80 said, "It makes it easier to study inside with all this crap outside."

One Lionel Hall resident said she was frightened every time she entered her entryway by "all the ice falling down from above."

Others complained of wet feet. "Everytime I come back from being outside I fantasize about soaking my sopping cold feet in a tub of hot water," said Bo Price '80.

"I feel like I will never wear dry socks until June," groaned Bernadette Dranovsky '80.

Although several buildings had flooded basements and rooms because of cracks in windows and doors, Lee said the problem was not very serious. He said his workers spent yesterday removing slush and they may have to apply salt and sand today if freezing occurs, as expected.

Hilles and Widener Libraries, the Science Center, and the Lampoon building suffered extensive flooding. Hilles staff members acted quickly to move books away from nearby leaking windows.

Not everyone was negative about the weather. Remarked nonchalant Erica Foldy '80, "Personally I can't understand what all the fuss is about. I mean, what's a little ice?