Lange Is Up For Top Spot In CCA Voting

By Peter B. Mark

The Cambridge Civic Association (CCA), a liberal political group, probably will elect Peter M. Lange, assistant professor of Government, as its president for 1977, several association members said yesterday.

Lange, who has been a member of CCA since 1972, was the only person nominated for the presidency.

Ballots were sent out yesterday and election results should be announced on January 27, Happy Green, executive director of CCA, said yesterday.

In addition to supporting progressive candidates in Cambridge elections, CCA lobbies for, and does research on, issues of local concern, Lange said yesterday.

Liberal Majority

He said he believes the main priority of CCA this year will be to obtain a liberal majority in the Cambridge City Council.

The nine-member city council now has four progressive members, and CCA would like to push for a majority from this year's council elections, Lange said.

"The majority is necessary so that we can push through the programs we want," Lange said, adding, however, that "It is not an end in itself."

This year CCA will also concentrate on expanding its constituency, and work to improve city services, Lange said.

Members of CCA contacted yesterday said they see no problems of conflict of interest arising from Lange's status as a Harvard employee.

"Peter Lange is not the type of man to put the priorities of Harvard University over those of the City of Cambridge," Jerry R. Cole, former vice president of CCA, said yesterday.

No Mouthpiece

"Anyone who knows me, knows that I am in no way a spokesman or mouthpiece for University views," Lange said, adding that "My views are not influenced by my job."

Brett Donham '60, another CCA former vice president, said that Lange is "in touch with the Cambridge community" but at the same time can watch Harvard activities closely because he is inside the University.

CCA's president traditionally has served as the association's spokesman and coordinator, and motivated CCA members to participate in association efforts, Cole said.

The actual policies of the association, however, are determined by an annually-elected board of directors, Cole said.