Radcliffe Cagers Lose Opener; Beat B.C. in Consolation Game

By Mark D. Director

A 70-56 loss to Central Connecticutt State College in the first round, and a 50-41 victory over Boston College in the consolation game added up to a disappointing weekend for the Radcliffe cagers at the Worcester Tournament in Worcester.

Friday night, the women were unable to keep up with Central Connecticut's effective fast break and hard-nosed full court press. Despite the efforts of Radcliffe's Caryn Curry, who had 14 points and 17 rebounds for the Crimson in that game, the cagers failed to uphold a 30-28 halftime lead.

One impressive result of the Radcliffe performance against Central Connecticut was the 54 rebounds that the team grabbed. Captain Kathy Fulton said the high number was "twice the usual total."

Radcliffe lost its stamina as the second half progressed and quickly fell behind in the fast-paced game. Crimson coach Carole Kleinfelder said, "It was an excellent game and the girls played very well, but were lacking the stamina to keep up in the second half."

Injury Hurts

Kleinfelder also said starting center Sue Hewitt's absence due to injury hurt the Radcliffe effort.

Saturday afternoon Radcliffe met Boston College, which had lost to Worcester State the night before, in the consolation game. This time, the Radcliffe women had no trouble with their opponents as they totally controlled the game.

Accurate shooting by Crimson high-scorer Wnder Carle, who had 16 points, and added offensive power from Curry and teammate Ellen Hart gave the Radcliffe cagers the necessary offensive attack.

But Kleinfelder said the effects of playing two games in so short a time span were evident in the B.C. game as the women were not at their best.

She added that the consolation win was overshadowed by the first-round loss, although the Crimson women "did what they had to do to win."

In the tournament final, Central Connecticut State walked away with the number one spot in the four-team weekend tourney as it trounced Worcester, 77-63.