Racquetwomen Convict Judges

Brandeis Fails to Capture a Set in 8--0 Win

By Bill Scheft

The Radcliffe tennis team won its second dual match of the season yesterday over Brandeis, 8-0.....

Hold it. Let's get some things straight here. First of all, it's not Radcliffe tennis anymore. It's now Harvard women's tennis. Second, they didn't just win yesterday, it was more like a mass murder. Third, this is not just another good women's team with no competition and less dedication. We're talking juggernaut-in-the-making here.

The Crimson did not lose a set all day to the Judgettes. In fact, the squad lost a grand total of only 14 games over the eight matches.

Martha Roberts led the freshman contingent the first three singles spots with a decisive 6-2, 6-2 win over Ronnie Yellin. Number two Libby Pierpont struggled slightly in the second set, but came up with a 6-2, 6-4 greasing of Heidi Gurian, whom Pierpont had previously defeated in the first round of last weekend's Greater Boston Championships.

Well, that's all for the close matches gang. Make way for the bagel parade....

Meg Meyer marched first with a love, love number over unsuspecting Flo Cohen. Sally Roberts followed in step at the number four singles slot with a two-set whitewash (6-0, 6-0) over Vinny Hoffman.

In the other two singles matches, number five Leslie Miller was temporarily disoriented in the first set as she dropped a game, but then laid the goose-egg in set number two for a 6-1, 6-0 triumph. Freshman Lisa Greco rounded out the singles in relatively the same fashion cruising at a 6-0, 6-1 clip.

In the two doubles matches it was more of the same. Old women Terry Clarke (she and Sally Roberts are the only juniors on the squad) teamed up with freshman Janet Teltscher for a 6-0, 6-1 victory, while the freshman tandem of Margie Solomon and Diane Leary won its number two doubles tilt, 6-1, 6-0.

Rookie coach Peter Felske was again impressed with the performance of his women in white. "We've got a group of women here who know tennis and who moreover have unlimited potential," he said.

Today four of the Harvard women's team will travel west to Mt. Holyoke to take part in the Massachusetts State Championships. Felske will take along Martha Roberts and Pierpont for singles duties, while Captain Katie Ditzler will team up with Sally Roberts for the doubles tournament.