Freshmen Plan Dartmouth Bash In the Union

By Patricia C. Gadecki

Hundreds of Harvard and Dartmouth students will be flocking to the Freshman Union tonight at 9 p.m. if Brett R. Johnson '81 gets the tremendous turn-out he is hoping for at the "First Harvard-Dartmouth Post-Game Bash."

Guided by Burris C. Young, assistant dean of freshmen, and assisted by Carl J. Martignetti '81, Johnson coordinated this party to counteract his "disappointment in the Harvard social scene.

Regional Pull

Johnson expressed the need for more open, on-campus parties because the great number of activities in the Boston-Cambridge area tend to draw stude ts in different directions.

"If Harvard students party more together, I think it would improve the general atmosphere of the school," he said.

The Freshman Mixer and various House parties disappointed Johnson, he said, adding that these functions are "just not as good as they should be--there is poor dancing music and very little refreshment."

Johnson and Martignetti hired Universal Sound, a ten-piece band from Berklee School of Music for tonight's party. Johnson says the group will play a lot of Stevie Wonder music and just "the finest in dancing music," adding that the $1.50 cover charge will include free beer and soft drinks.

Students with Harvard or Dartmouth I.D.'s or accompanied by Harvard students will be admitted. Only the first 1000 students can be accomodated.

Any profit from the dance will go towards a fund for planning future parties, Johnson said, explaining that the University does not permit students to use Union facilities for profit.