..Green Humbles Crimson 3-1; Hall Tallies Only Harvard Goal

By Stephen A. Herzenberg

As a sagacious visiting soccer buff from Dartmouth noted, beer in hand, during the second half of the Harvard-Dartmouth J.V. soccer game, "That Harvard goalie's made some saves. He looks like a goddamn mudball." Unfortunately for the Crimson the saves the mudball made did not suffice as the Big Green triumphed, 3-1.

Despite the loss, Harvard's second half goalie, Edward Weinfurtner, and his first half counterpart, Dave Balton, can hardly be faulted for their play. Rather, defensive mistakes and missed opportunities near the Dartmouth goalmouth undid the Crimson J.V.'s, sending them to their third defeat in four games.

After a defensively controlled, scoreless first period, the second half brought offensive domination and ulcers for both goalkeepers. Dartmouth's Chris Morrison opened the scoring with a hard header into the lower right corner of the net off a corner kick.

A fine diving save by Harvard goalie Weinfurtner kept the score at 1-0 and enabled Harvard to tie the game five minutes later Gerard Hall tallied the goal, trapping a fine chip from Mark Battey with his chest before dribbling around a prematurely sprawled Dartmouth goalie Alex Dmyterko.

Tying Score

After tying the score, Harvard appeared to relax and this cost them as Dartmouth moved ahead just two minutes later. Sweeper back Tom Sylvester tapped the ball too softly on a pass back to Wein-furtner and Dartmouth forward Baynoe capitalized, darting in to lift the ball over the diving goalie.

In the next ten minutes Harvard had several chances to rally, but Dartmouth netted the next, and last, goal of the game as Sandy Oaks made the score 3-1 after Sylvester had failed to clear the ball away from the goalmouth.

In reviewing the loss, Harvard soccer fans can take solace in the result of the varsity soccer game played adjacent to the J.V. match. In that battle, it seems, the mudball played for Dartmouth.