Council Debates Parking Spaces

By Michael Kendall

In an atmosphere one councilor described as "trying to please everyone in an election year," the Cambridge City Council held a two-and-a-half hour debate on parking spaces at last night's meeting.

Douglas Bell, a Cambridge developer, appealed to the City Council yesterday to exempt his townhouse development on Irving St. from zoning regulations concerning parking places.

Several Irving St. residents said yesterday they opposed the move because of its unsightly effect. However, one prospective townhouse purchaser said last night the residents were trying to keep the development out because its selling price is significantly lower than most other houses in the neighborhood.

Townhouses across the street from Bell's development sold for $82,000 to $89,000. Bell's townhouses would sell for approximately $65,000. The council voted against any specific actions, recommending that Bell apply for a waiver from one of the city's regulatory boards.

The council also heard school officials and School Committee members present plans for expansion of the Cambridge Alternative Public School and proposed high school athletic facilities.

In an Ordinance Committee meeting prior to the regular council meeting, the council approved zoning amendments to the development plans for Kendall Square. The area is now the Cambridge Center Mixed Use Development District.