Yale President

Most members of the Yale community consider Hannah Gray, Yale provost and acting president of the university, as a candidate still under consideration for the vacant post of president of the university, Yale students said yesterday.

The Yale Corporation has narrowed the field to 30 candidates in its search for a new president of Yale, a spokesman for the university said yesterday.

Frederick W. Clapp, president of the Yale Club of Boston, said yesterday most Yale alumni he has spoken with think Gray would make a good president, but that they doubt she will get the job.

"There would be a wide spectrum of alumni opinion" if a woman became president, Clapp said yesterday. He added he would be "willing to accept Gray."

President Bok said yesterday he has held discussions with members of the Yale presidential search committee, but that he is not free to comment on the substance of the discussions.

Recommended Articles

It's Official: Summers
Lawrence H. Summers will be the 27th president of Harvard University. The presidential search committee announced Summers' appointment on campus
Bush Could Be Yale President
President Bush is rumored to be on a list of potential candidates to succeed Benno C. Schmidt Jr. as president
Richard Levin, Economist, Chosen as Yale President
Richard C. Levin, dean of Yale's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, was named the 22nd president of Yale University
Fact and Rumor.
Yale has a Hawaiian Club of which A. C. Alexander '89, is president.
The Mail ASTRO TURF
To the Editors of the CRIMSON: Just a note which would have been dropped in the University suggestion box if
Some Yale Sentiments.
The following extracts are taken from speeches by President Hadley and a Yale graduate during President Hadley's recent tour in