Painting, Rewiring, Top Repairs at South House

By Elizabeth D. Sherwood

Students on the South House Facilities Committee who met yesterday with Frank A. Lawton, assistant dean of facilities, said he was "very receptive" to their ideas of painting and rewiring, getting larger bookshelves and putting in showers where needed in South House.

Peter G. Fordham '80, chairman of the committee, said yesterday Briggs Hall, which was last painted three years ago in bright primary collors, should be repainted as soon as a student committee selects the colors.

He added that Quad bookshelves are "very small," and that River Houses have bigger ones. Mark J. LaVergne '80, a member of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life and a member of the committee, said there should be "no problem" in getting new bookshelves for South House rooms.

However, Lawton said last night Dean Rosovsky will have to review a student priority list and consider expenditures before making any definite decisions.

Cabot Hall has two bathtubs to every shower, and Lawton said he thought it would be possible to install shower spigots in the bathtubs.

Half of Briggs was rewired three years ago, but the project exceeded its budget and was never completed. As a result, in many of the rooms there is no permanent overhead lighting and students have only desk lamps.

Lawton, who is an electrical engineer, said he will meet with students to discuss how soon rewiring can be done. Fordham added that if it is not possible to complete rewiring soon, lamps will be supplied.

Sub-committee

The South House Facilities Committee will also set up a sub-committee to discuss refurbishing the South House basements, will arrange a meeting with Buildings and Grounds to discuss the reseeding and relandscaping of the Quad.

The committee will also begin to meet monthly with Lawton's assistant, Rosario Sciallaboa, to discuss long-range projects for improvement as well as immediate student grievances. Fordham said this is already happening in the River Houses, but has never taken place in the Quad.

If enough student interest can be generated, Lawton said he would be receptive to the idea of building suites in South House similar to corner suites recently added to North House.

Lavergne said, "It is a question of critical choices. Do we want a playing field or a beautiful landscaped yard? Do we want suites developed in Briggs Hall?"

"Potentially South House could be the most advantageous House in the system," he added. "Not only would there be suites for sociables, but singles for those who lead the cloistered life. There would be incredible diversity."

Lawton said, "The main thing was to open up communications between students and my office. I think the students are satisfied that they know who they should talk to now.