Soviet Sociologist May Conduct Seminar On Urban Problems

Anatoli Vasilievich Dmitriev, a Soviet political sociologist, may speak in a seminar at Harvard during his one-month stay in the United States, a coordinator for the International Research Exchange Board (IREX) said yesterday.

IREX arranges for the exchange of scholars between academic institutions in the U.S. and eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

By IREX regulation, the total number of months American academics spend in a particular nation must equal the amount of time that nation's scholars spend in the U.S. in any one year.

When Dmitriev arrives at IREX headquarters on November 27, IREX officials will finalize his schedule and inform the Harvard Center for Urban Studies (CUS) if Dmitriev will vist the University, Julia K. Holms, an IREX coordinator, said yesterday.

Dmitriev, a professor at the Institute of Socio-Economic Problems, will tour American universities during his stay. He said in a resume he submitted to IREX that he would like to visit Harvard.

CUS has made no definite plans for the seminar, although it has considered cosponsoring the seminar with the Russian Research Center, Charlotte Moore, a coordinator for CUS, said yesterday.

"We're making no definite plans for a seminar until we receive further information from IREX," Moore added.