Yale Officials Call Times Story Distorted

By Alfred E. Jean

Yale administrators said yesterday the university has not changed its position in the six-week-old walkout by Yale maintainance, custodial, and service union employees, and called misleading an article that appeared in The New York Times yesterday stating that the university has softened its stand.

The Times article stated that Albert R. Dobie, director of university operations at Yale, is prepared to make concessions to the strikers in an effort to settle the dispute.

Times Are Changing

Times staff members yesterday refused to comment upon the article. Nancy S. Greenberg, the Yale senior who wrote the Times article, said yesterday "There's really no change. Unfortunately, the article was misleading. It is correct, but its just misleading," adding that "An article in tomorrow's paper will clarify the situation.

Donald M. Stevens, director of employee relations at Yale, said yesterday the university's administration has asked The Times for a retraction of yesterday's article. "The whole article has been completely distorted," he said.

Stevens said "We are willing to restructure or add more issues but not to add any more money" to the university's last proposal. "Negotiations are at a standstill," he added.

Negotiations between the university and the employees' union broke off on September 22, when the union rejected the university's last proposal. The 1100 university employees who walked out have been on strike since September 30