There Were Ups and Downs, But Mostly Downs

The Party's Over

By Michael K. Savit

In two short years, the Harvard football program has multi-flexed its way from the top of the Ivies smack into the middle of the heap. Ever since that afternoon in the Yale Bowl two years ago when Mike Lynch kicked a 26-yd, wobbly duck for the deciding field goal and the Crimson's first undisputed title ever, the Crimson's motion, the trademark of the multiflex, has either been illegal or backward.

The problems that Harvard has encountered the past two autumns could be explained away by citing various factors--the weather in last fall's 9-3 loss to Cornell, the psychological let-down in this autumn's 20-7 defeat by Princeton, the bad play selection in the clutch against Brown a week later.

To thus rationalize, though, would be to miss the key point--the best talent in the Ivies no longer resides in Cambridge. In fact, one could probably make a case that given the capabilities of this year's team, it is amazing that it remained in contention for the Ivy title until 12 minutes remained in the season.

The main area where the Crimson has been deficient for the last two years has been up front, in the offensive line. When the Class of '76 graduated a year and a half ago, it took with it an offensive line that basically was the heart of the multiflex.

Indeed, the multiflex offense is dependent upon open holes and key blocks. Without them, all the razzle-dazzle that goes on in the backfield goes for naught past the line of scrimmage.

The multiflex, as Joe Restic would be the first to admit, is not a replacement for personnel. Good personnel makes it work, and when it does work, it looks great. When it doesn't, though, it looks terrible. Absolutely terrible. Half of this season it looked absolutely terrible.

One thing that the multiflex doesn't do--even in triumph--is look overpowering. When Harvard wins, it out-cutesies it opponent. When it loses, as it has done for two successive years to Brown and Yale, it is beaten badly. Overpowered, out-muscled and pushed all over the field.

The Bruins and the Elis are now at the point where they can do this to the Crimson. Their football programs have surpassed Harvard's and it will probably be a while before this trend reverses itself.

What does all of this mean? Nothing really, save for the fact that it is at least mildly depressing for the seniors on this year's team to realize that the football program has taken a linear equation-like dip during their time in Cambridge.

As sophomores, they won the Ivy League championship. As juniors, when they were heavily favored to repeat on top, they were buried by both Brown and Yale. This season, the same burial occurred again, and the Crimson finished with its worst record in Restic's seven-year tenure.

Fortunately, there is little time to dwell on gridiron failures. Hockey season opens tonight. See you around Watson Rink, sports.