Vermont Invades Watson...

Three periods of solid hockey and a University of Vermont squad hungry for an ECAC win in its league opener are all that stands between the Harvard icemen and their first victory of the season. Simple, huh?

Not so, mar in-the-crease breath. The Crimson played more than well enough to win a week ago here against Dartmouth and still wound up on the short end of a 5-4 overtime score.

Meanwhile, UVM was out in football country splitting a pair of weekend contests with Ohio State. A tying goal with one second left in regulation time Friday night propelled the Catamounts to a 5-4 overtime victory of their own. The following night the Buckeyes, who recently learned that athletics don't end with the Michigan football game, evened things up with a 5-2 triumph.

No Exception

In the Year of the Rookie Goaltender in the ECAC, Vermont is no exception. Freshman Tony Frost from nearby Belmont and even-nearer-by Browne and Nichols should get the call in nets tonight for UVM. Harvard's John Hynes, with all of one game under his belt, will oppose Frost.

Emerged Victorious

Last year the two squads opened the season against each other up in Burlington. The Crimson then emerged victorious in an exciting 5-2 tilt, highlighted by a George Hughe's penalty-shot goal in the first period.

Speaking of penalties, Vermont is known for its aggressive (a.k.a. dirty) play, so look for a packed house in the penalty box.