Board Affirms Medical Dean For Admissions

By Susan K. Brown

The Board of Overseers recently confirmed the appointment of Dr. Oglesby Paul '38 as director of admissions for the Harvard Medical School. Paul has been acting director since Sptember 1.

Paul said yesterday he plans to gradually limit the number of medical school applicants interviewed to those whose application files require further personal information or recommendations. He added the goal of the admissions office is to "keep the number manageable to the manpower we have and to bring the interview to the applicant." Over 1000 applicants were interviewed last year, most of them two or three times.

Paul said he has already arranged to have alumm and students in major cities across the country interview applicants in order to spare them the cost of traveling to Cambridge.

Balanced Perspective

Paul is also adding two non-scientists to the central admissions committee, which currently consists of seven physicians and faculty members and three medical students.

"Intelligent people in walks of life other than medicine have a great deal to offer the committee," he said, because they are "useful for a balanced perspective."

Paul said in the future he may consider assigning the duties of the admissions subcommittee on minority students to the other subcommittees, since the medical school is the only graduate school in the University with a minority subcommittee. He said he will proceed "cautiously" in order not to alter the percentage of minority students admitted to the medical school.

Paul came to Harvard from Northwestern University, where he was vice president for health services and chief of medicine at Passavant Memorial Hospital. He is a past president of the American Heart Association and also served as vice president of the Harvard Medical Alumni Association