The Slate:

Candidates

Barbara Ackermann

City Councilor Barbara Ackermann said last week she has concentrated on "the provision of health services and how they get paid for." She has tried to staff neighborhood clinics and pressed for state aid to Cambridge to fill the gaps in aid caused by Medicare cutbacks. She has also worked for affirmative action and for eradication of patronage jobs.

Byrle Breny

Byrle Breny has helped to obtain and preserve rent control, and wants to see an increase in health and safety services for Cambridge, including an improved police department. She supported fights to preserve proportional representation and the council-manager form of government in Cambridge.

Francis Duehay

City Councilor Francis Duehay '55 said last week his special concerns include fiscal stability and reorganization of the police department. As chairman of the council Committee on Finance, Duehay has pushed to keep expenses down by eliminating exorbitant salaries of city employees, which he says take up 80 per cent of the city's budget as well as providing patronage slots. Duehay also supports environmental and energy conservation. He has served on the council for four terms, and believes he "bridges town and gown" in his understanding of both Cambridge and university interests.

Saundra Graham

City Councilor Saundra Graham said last week she is the Convention's strongest promoter of affirmative action. "Women are not promoted in city government," she said last week. She wants to develop a job-skill bank so Cambridge residents can compete with outsiders for city jobs, has fought police brutality in Cambridge, and has supported the development of a cultural arts center for Cambridge. Graham has served on the city council since 1971.

Graham's first entry into politics invloved a takeover of the 1971 Harvard Commencement to protest Harvard's intractability on its community development policies.

Mary E. Preusser

Mary Ellen Preusser bills herself as a human services advocate. Over the past year she has conducted a survey to determine what issues are most important to Cambridge citizens. She has discovered the voters care most about rent control, police protection, youth counseling and services for the elderly. She supports human and civil rights, including the civil rights of homosexuals.

Louis Solano

Louis Solano '24 is at 73 the oldest candidate running for the council, and he said last week he has a special concern for the political rights of the elderly. "The elderly should have a representative on the council so they won't have to be suppliants," he said. He has spoken out against illegal research on the elderly conducted at Boston City, Hospital and against condominium conversion. He says he wants to "educate groups to use their political power."

David Sullivan

David Sullivan lists as his proudest accomplishment his efforts to make it "possible for every student and citizen to participate in the election process." When a student at MIT, Sullivan found he could not register to vote because he was a student. He joined the Democratic Ward Committee that determines the members of the Election Commission and selected members who enabled student voters to register.

Sullivan also led a fight two years ago to uncover ballot fraud in Cambridge elections. In addition, Sullivan wants to end patronage and promote more efficient and professional city government.

David Wylie

David Wylie, a city councilor from 1973 to 1975, supports increased professionalism and citizen participation in city government. As councilor, Wylie said he, "more than anyone else," was responsible for the appointment of City Manager James L. Sullivan. He fought to end patronage, and started the Cambridge Food Co-op. Wylie is especially interested in making Cambridge a model city for citizen participation in municipal government.