Police Arrest 20 Students In Yale Protest

By Margaret A. Traub

New Haven police yesterday arrested 20 Yale students who joined with striking university workers in what many students called the most violent incident since the eight-week strike began.

The students were part of a group of about 70 students and 30 striking workers who gathered in front of Yale's Pierson-Sage Power Plant in a second attempt to block a fuel oil delivery.

Students and employees first tried to stop oil deliveries at the plant in a demonstration on November 21 in which police arrested 35 Yale students.

Protestors yesterday said that the police were angered by the first demonstration and therefore dealt much more harshly with the protestors this time.

The protestors were also more volatile, students said yesterday. "There was a much more heated atmosphere this time; someone even threw a bottle at the police," Ann Harvey, one of the arrested students, said yesterday.

"The cops were very resentful that we were back, and they wanted to show us something stronger, Katherine Kennedy, a leader of the Student Strike Support Committee, said last night, after being arrested for the second time.

"They viciously dragged some of the students into the paddy wagon, including some who were just standing on the sidewalk shouting," she added.

Raymond F. Albrino, spokesman for the New Haven police, said yesterday that he did not believe that the police had treated the protestors harshly. He refused to comment on any specific allegations