In Progress

CRR

The dialogue over the issue of racial humor began to slowly take form this week between the Harvard lampoon and a black students group that has charged the magazine with featuring "racially insensitive" caricatures of blacks in recent issues.

On Thursday, the seven-member board of the Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association met with the newly-inaugurated heads of the Lampoon to try to thrash out a public Lampoon statement that would satisfy offended blacks and still prove stomachable to Lampoon editors.

Although the two groups agreed not to comment on the developments of the meeting, it appeared yesterday that the talk had produced nothing on paper and that indications had surfaced that the two parties may have trouble coming to terms.

Steven G. Crist '78, publisher of the Lampoon, called the meeting itself "friendly, but apparently an informal unreleased survey of Lampoon editors after the meeting suggested that many of the magazine's members see no reason to release a statement at all.

Regardless of any concessions either side may make before or during the next meeting on Monday, there will be no final action until the black student group holds its next general membership meeting on Wednesday.