Vorenbergs Resign As Dunster Masters

By Joanne L. Kenen

Elizabeth W. Vorenberg and James Vorenberg '50 announced Saturday that they will resign their positions as co-masters of Dunster House at the end of this academic year.

In a letter to House members, the Vorenbergs said they "feel the need to return to a more private life. We are finding it difficult to get enough time for our work and enough time for ourselves, while being involved in the life of the House in the way we believe the Masters should be."

Both Vorenbergs yesterday characterized their five-year term at the House as "a very, very happy experience" but James Vorenberg added that "the question was whether to stay on while recognizing the pressures of time that were making it more and more difficult for us to give our fullest attention" to the House.

"We love it and we're sorry to leave but we want to leave while we're still loving it," Elizabeth Vorenberg said.

She recently returned to work full-time for the State Department of Public Welfare, and she said that change is one factor in the couple's decision to leave the House. James Vorenberg will remain a professor of Law here.

Dean Fox said yesterday, "The Vorenbergs have done a very good job--they are energetic and very successful masters." He added that administrators seeking a new master for Dunster will solicit suggestions from students as well as from tutors and House associates.

Working closely with tutors and carefully selecting tutors to "create a superb group of people on the House staff" is probably their most important legacy to the House, James Vorenberg said.

In addition, "The House was in poor physical condition when we came in and it's in excellent shape now," Elizabeth Vorenberg said, citing the renovated courtyard and patio, and the installation of art and pottery facilities as specific improvements.

Deval L. Patrick '78, co-chairman of Dunster House Committee, yesterday said the Vorenberg's "conception of the masters' role includes a great deal of activity in the House. They are leaving because they feel they can no longer give it enough of their time."

As co-masters, the Vorenbergs have displayed a "sense of flexibility," he said, adding that they are extremely responsible to students' suggestions and ideas.

"There's probably even more student input than many of the students in the House realize and it doesn't all come from House committee," he said.

Christina M. Tchen '78, the other co-chairman of the Dunster committee, said yesterday the Vorenbergs are "excellent masters, very active, very concerned about what students want."

James Vorenberg currently chairs the master's executive committee, a post that makes him responsible for communicating masters' views and presenting the House' needs to administrators.

Kenneth R. Andrews, master of Leverett House yesterday said that Vorenberg has filled his role as chairman "very effectively and very well."

The Vorenbergs have purchased a home "within jogging distance" of Dunster, where they will move in June, they said