Counselors Discuss Rape

Counselors from the University Health Services (UHS) and the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center last night informally discussed legal, emotional and social aspects of rape with members of the Harvard community.

Linda Giles, a center counselor, outlined some of the "grey areas" in Massachusetts statutes. She noted that as "lots of irrelevant garbage" still gets into the courtroom, "there is no predicting how a jury will decide on any given case.

Giles and Ann G. Bisbee, assistant to the director of UHS, repeatedly stressed that rape is not a sexual act but an act of violence, which, according to federal reports, is still the most underreported major felony.

Although more research is needed on rapists themselves, Giles said noted researchers have found that the "typical" rapist does not differ from the "typical" American male. Most rapists, she said, are married and report normal sexual relationships.

Slightly more than half of all rapes are committed inside women's homes and a similar proportion of the rapists are acquainted in some way with their victim, the speakers noted.

"Real rape prevention starts in the cradle. We have to teach little boys not to be aggressive little soldiers and have to teach little girls not to be passive," Giles said.

Recommended Articles

Letters: Sexual Assault Survivors Spoke Out With Courage
To the editors: I want the two students involved in the sexual assault cases (News, Feb. 19), as well as
Fifteen Minutes: An Unsilenced Voice: Katie Koestner on Rape, Reaction and Change
FM: Katie, please retell your story in whatever detail you feel comfortable with. Katie: I was raped when I was
Beyond the Ad Board
At its meeting tomorrow, the Faculty is scheduled to reopen discussion on how the College should handle peer disputes, including
How Other Schools Handle Date Rape Cases
As the issue of date and acquaintance rape erupted into prominence at Harvard during the last week, some students bitterly
Twenty Four Nieman Fellows Announced
Twenty-four journalists who work in media ranging from newspapers and magazines to radio and television have been chosen for the 2011-2012 class of Nieman Fellows, the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard announced on Tuesday.
Preview: CryHurtFood
With buckled knees, modern dance, and ape-like gaits, Daniel J. Giles ’13, director and writer of “CryHurtFood,” blurs the line between human and chimpanzee.