Actors on the Indian Stage

SANJAY GANDHI--The 30-year-old son of the Prime Minister, Sanjay has become a political force recently and is being groomed by his mother as a possible successor some day.

MORARJ DESAI--The former Deputy Prime Minister of India, Desai was imprisoned after resigning from Gandhi's cabinet in protest over the declared "emergency" rule. Desai was released from prison in January and immediately organized the opposition to Gandhi's regime into the Janata coalition.

JAGJIVAN RAM--A popular minister of agriculture, Ram resigned from Gandhi's cabinet last week in protest over the continuation of some aspects of "emergency" rule. Ram, an untouchable, is likely to bring a large bloc of votes from that caste into the Janata camp.

GEORGE FERNANDES--The leader of the socialist party in India, Fernandes has not yet been released from prison. He has been openly critical not only of Gandhi but also of her political opponents, for participating in the upcoming elections, which Fernandes calls "a sham."

JAYAPRAKASH NARAYAN--a disciple of the father of Indian independence, the late Mahatma Gandhi, Narayan has long been a national folk hero in India. Affectionately known there as J.P., Narayan has helped organize four national parties under the banner of the Janata [People's] Party in opposition to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.