Enrollment In Foreign Affairs Rises

By Marcela L. Davison

The upcoming retirement of a popular History professor has pushed up enrollment in his two courses, while a pair of course cancellations in the Government department has resulted in high enrollment in that department's remaining foreign relations offerings.

The imminent retirement of John K. Fairbank '29, Higginson Professor of History, has affected both his fall and spring courses. Enrollment in Social Sciences 11a, "East Asian Civilization: China," was markedly higher during the fall semester than in previous years, Peter W. Stanley '62, assistant professor of History, said yesterday.

Stanley attributed the rise to many students' desire to take Fairbank's course before he retires. Stanley said he is "encouraged by the high enrollment," and has petitioned Dean Rosovsky for another section person in order to help cover additional material.

Emerson 105 is filled to overflowing during History 1711, "The United States and East Asia," another Fairbank course. Mary Parson '78 said yesterday that large first-day crowds reflected the course's popularity and encouraged even more students to enroll later on.

Joel S. Migdal, associate professor of Government, said yesterday the cancellation of Government 184, "International Politics and International Relations," probably explains this semester's crowding in other international relations courses. Migdal is taking time off from his teaching duties, to join the Center for International Affairs and act as a graduate advisor.

"We are making plans to get the graduate teachers together in March before the new course catalogue comes out to make sure there will be enough people to teach courses next year," Migdal said.

Students found this week that they cannot take Gov 188, "The Arenas of United States Foreign Policy." John D. Montgomery, professor of Public Administration and lecturer in Gov 188, is on sabbatical for the spring term. Montgomery said yesterday he will offer the course next year.

Packed conditions at Burr B, where Government 40, "Continuity and Change in International Politics," meets, have not deterred students in making their course selections.

"The room is a terrible place--if the course could be held in a Science Center lecture hall then we wouldn't be jammed in," Susan Sacks '80 said yesterday.

Sacks said, however, that she is "willing to put up with the crowded conditions--if you're interested with what the course is about then it doesn't matter."