Racquetmen Get It Back Together, 7-2

Penn Squashes Radcliffe, 5-2

By Carl A. Esterhay

The Radcliffe squash team lost a road match to Penn, 5-2, Saturday as only captain Julia Moore and freshman Sarah Mleczko gained decisions for the Crimson.

Smart money figured Penn to win easily on the strength of its defeat of the same Williams squad that beat Radcliffe last week, 5-2.

But the match was far from a runaway. As odd-numbered matches were all played first, the match was actually tied, 2-2, after victories by Moore and Mleczko in the first and third seeds and setbacks in the number five and seven slots.

Untarnished

Moore defeated Nancy Mervis, 3-1, to keep her season record untarnished at 7-0. Penn's skillful Patty Field, who normally plays number one, was attending a funeral and so missed her anticipated match-up with Moore.

"Moore played very well--all the girls played well," Coach Eric Cutler said yesterday. "They were a little bit better than us. There was a lot of noise with the men's game going on at the same time and it was a little distracting. We're not used to that," he added.

The racquetwomen, who dropped to 4-3, must recover quickly from their loss to Penn as they face five foes this week.